Visa & Permits

EU/EFTA nationals only require a residence permit, which is also the work permit. A residence permit is issued upon presentation of a written declaration of employment or a certificate of employment from the employer (e.g. employment contract with specified duration of employment and workload).

Croatian nationals who wish to take up gainful employment in Switzerland for more than four months after January 1, 2023 are subject to the visa clause.

Nationals of other countries apply for a visa at the Swiss embassy or a Swiss consulate general abroad. Entry into Switzerland may only take place after receipt of the visa.

The website of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) provides further information on country-specific entry requirements under the menu item “Entry into Switzerland”. Students will find helpful information on entry regulations here: Studying in Switzerland (Website DFA).


Copyright: Daniela Heinen

Visa & Permits

In order to optimize our website for you and to be able to continuously improve it, we use cookies. By continuing to use the website, you agree to the use of cookies. For more information about cookies, please see our Privacy policy.